[CMake] Effort to create a new generator (tup)

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Thu May 6 14:36:41 EDT 2010

On Thursday 06 May 2010, Jed Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2010 18:16:14 +0200, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Another issue: How would one automatically rerun CMake when one of the
> > input files to CMake changes? Of course, the build would then have to
> > continue with the potentially modified Tupfile's...
>
> Rebuilding with modified Tupfiles is not a problem, and will only build
> what is necessary.  But:
>
>   Tup doesn't support generating the Tupfiles themselves from other
>   programs. If you do that, you would need to run a separate program to
>   generate them before running 'tup upd'. I would hope that tup is
>   expressive enough that you don't feel the need to generate the
>   Tupfiles, though.

No, that's not possible.
By editing the cmake files you add source files to the build, add new targets,
change link libraries, add configure checks, etc.
When this is done, the input files for the build system (tup in this case)
*have* to be regenerated, since the content of the "old" ones doesn't match
the information from the modified CMakeLists.txt anymore.

Alex