[CMake] No Native 64-Bit CMake Binaries?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu May 6 14:55:02 EDT 2010

On 5/6/2010 1:39 PM, Eskandar Ensafi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> To clarify, my concern was not that a 32-bit CMake would not be able to
> build a 64-bit application, nor was I worried about the performance.
> Rather, considering that it is possible to build a 64-bit CMake, why is it
> that the CMake website does not provide a ready built 64-bit native
> binary?  I see various builds for less popular platforms such as IRIX 32
> and IRIS 64, so why not 64-bit Linux and Windows versions?

I should most likely remove the double builds for IRIX.... :)  I can not
remember, but I might have run across an IRIX machine where the 32 bit
IRIX build actually would not work, and the 64 bit was required.

Seriously, the point of having binaries on the cmake web site is to
provide a quick way to install CMake if the package manager for the OS
you are on does not have it, or if your are not root and need to install
CMake for your project.   The binaries are meant to be as portable as
possible and work for the maximum number of architectures as possible.
The Mac ones are ppc and intel, seems sort of crazy to add 1/3 more to
the download size by adding 64 bit just because we can.

The failing test on the 64 bit Macs is now fixed, and was actually not
failing, more of a bad test.

-Bill