[CMake] No Native 64-Bit CMake Binaries?

Eskandar Ensafi Ensafi at SpaceComputer.Com
Thu May 6 13:39:48 EDT 2010

Hi all,

To clarify, my concern was not that a 32-bit CMake would not be able to
build a 64-bit application, nor was I worried about the performance.
Rather, considering that it is possible to build a 64-bit CMake, why is it
that the CMake website does not provide a ready built 64-bit native
binary?  I see various builds for less popular platforms such as IRIX 32
and IRIS 64, so why not 64-bit Linux and Windows versions?

Best,

Eskandar

-----Original Message-----
From: cmake-bounces at cmake.org [mailto:cmake-bounces at cmake.org] On Behalf
Of Bill Hoffman
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:18 AM
To: cmake at cmake.org
Subject: Re: [CMake] No Native 64-Bit CMake Binaries?

On 5/6/2010 4:25 AM, Eric Noulard wrote:

>> What strikes me as being very strange is that CMake binaries are only
>> provided as 32-bit executables for Windows and Linux, two of the most
>> popular platforms where CMake is ever-increasingly used on 64-bit
hardware.
>> Is there any good reason why 64-bit binaries are not provided for all
>> supported operating systems?
>
> As David answered about constrained ressources, may be we can setup
> a "user-provided" set of CMake build in some public site?

Not sure I agree with David... :)

It is not a resource issue.  I just don't see the need?   What good is a
64 bit CMake?   On Apple someone wanted to a 64 bit CMake, and I had
them do bench marks, and not noticeable difference could be discerned
between them.   So, maybe this is just a marketing thing?   We should
make sure it is very clear that a 32 bit CMake can be used to build 64
bit applications.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I have yet to see
a good argument for why a 64 bit CMake would be needed for any reason.

-Bill