[CMake] No Native 64-Bit CMake Binaries?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu May 6 09:18:42 EDT 2010

On 5/6/2010 9:13 AM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> Bill,
>
> As for the need of 64-bit binaries, I agree that it is not a
performance issue.
> However, it will be a compatibility issue. Things evolve. Remember
MacOSX 10.0, 10.1? Back then, you could have argued that we didn't need
a new version of CMake. The binaries from MacOS 9 ran just fine. Now,
not only can you not run those binaries, but you cannot even run an
MacOSX 10.5(ppc) program on 10.6. Even though that worked just fine on
10.5(Intel), it is no longer supported.
> Similarly, libraries get updated and, in the process, drop
compatibility with "ancient" configurations. Since the hardware is
clearly moving toward 64-bit, I don't expect it to be too long before we
start seeing 32-bit compatibility "rotting".

Sure, and the version (of OS X) where that happens, is when I would
start shipping 64 bit.   Right now having one binary seems cleaner,
however, I most likely should put some notes on the download page
explaining that 32 bit CMake's can be used to build 64 bit applications
with no problem.

-Bill