[CMake] No Native 64-Bit CMake Binaries?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu May 6 08:17:53 EDT 2010

On 5/6/2010 4:25 AM, Eric Noulard wrote:

>> What strikes me as being very strange is that CMake binaries are only
>> provided as 32-bit executables for Windows and Linux, two of the most
>> popular platforms where CMake is ever-increasingly used on 64-bit hardware.
>> Is there any good reason why 64-bit binaries are not provided for all
>> supported operating systems?
>
> As David answered about constrained ressources, may be we can setup
> a "user-provided" set of CMake build in some public site?

Not sure I agree with David... :)

It is not a resource issue.  I just don't see the need?   What good is a
64 bit CMake?   On Apple someone wanted to a 64 bit CMake, and I had
them do bench marks, and not noticeable difference could be discerned
between them.   So, maybe this is just a marketing thing?   We should
make sure it is very clear that a 32 bit CMake can be used to build 64
bit applications.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I have yet to see
a good argument for why a 64 bit CMake would be needed for any reason.

-Bill