[CMake] No Native 64-Bit CMake Binaries?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu May 6 04:25:56 EDT 2010

2010/5/5 Eskandar Ensafi <Ensafi at spacecomputer.com>:
> Hello,
>

> I used to build my own CMake binaries under Linux and Windows, but I got
> tired of having to install compatible versions of third-party libraries such
> as Qt, so I’ve been downloading the prebuilt binaries instead.  On the Linux
> side, I gave up on Red Hat/EPEL and RPMforge distributions, as they are
> always very slow to upgrade to the latest stable release.

On many linux distros I do/did use I can always find a 'not-too-old'
cmake in the
default repository (debian, ubuntu, fedora, rhel, etc...)

Now when I need bleeding edge CMake version I do download the wanted
CMake source
and rebuilt the wanted newest CMake package (usually either DEB or RPM)
using the available oldish binary CMake.

If you assume that you have at least CMake 2.6 installed you may automatized
the building process of recent package easily using CMake scripting.

You'll find attached a cmake script which may be used to build a CMake 2.8.1 RPM
using a single cmake invocation.

cmake -P CMake-autobuild.cmake

which should give you something like:
$ cmake -P ../CMake-autobuild.cmake
-- Trying to autoconfigure CMake version 2.8.1 using
http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.1.tar.gz file...
-- Downloading...
-- Not there, trying to download...
-- Download successful.
-- Unarchiving the file
-- CMake version 2.8.1 has been unarchived in xxx/Test/tmp/cmake-2.8.1.
-- Configuring with CMake...
-- Building with /usr/bin/gmake...
-- Building RPM with CPackRPM...
-- RPM file name is: xxx/Test/tmp/cmake-2.8.1/build/cmake-2.8.1-Linux-i686.rpm
-- CMake version 2.8.1 has been built in xxx/Test/tmp/cmake-2.8.1.

writing and/or providing such file in order to ease the build of  a
CMake package should be easy.
If it is of general interest may be Kitware may provide the file on
the "download" page?

My example may be improved a lot.
At least on linux it should be fairly easy to guess the appropriate
package format
(RPM, DEB, TGZ) based on the distro type.
We may add some parameter in order to choose CMake version and/or discover
latest version from CMake web site etc...

Does anybody here find this kind of script useful?

> What strikes me as being very strange is that CMake binaries are only
> provided as 32-bit executables for Windows and Linux, two of the most
> popular platforms where CMake is ever-increasingly used on 64-bit hardware.
> Is there any good reason why 64-bit binaries are not provided for all
> supported operating systems?

As David answered about constrained ressources, may be we can setup
a "user-provided" set of CMake build in some public site?

--
Erk
http://www.april.org