[CMake] How to integrate autoconf based library into my cmake build tree

Luigi Calori l.calori at cineca.it
Sun Feb 28 07:50:10 EST 2010

Albert Z wrote:
> Hello,
>   Our project now uses a bunch of 3rd party libraries such as apr,
> protobuf, libcurl, etc. Almost all of these libraries use autoconf
> (configure.in <http://configure.in>) based build system. Since we have
> some modifications to most of the libraries, we have to integrate
> these libraries to our cmake build tree. What is the easiest way to
> integrate such a 3rd-party library to a cmake build with keeping the
> maximum portability?
Try to look at ExternalProject module
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#module:ExternalProject
and page 10 of
http://www.kitware.com/products/archive/kitware_quarterly1009.pdf

I have used it (with some mods): it allow to automate download
pactch,build and install)
Anyway, curl have recently included a CMakeLists in its distribution. I
have used it even if had to apply some patches.
I am trying to collect some cmake build recipes for some libraries I need.
If you are interested, grab the stuff at
bzr branch http://3d.cineca.it/storage/bazaar_repo/CmakeDeps/lib

HTH

Luigi