[CMake] CMake 2.8.1 RC 3 is ready to try

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Feb 22 12:27:44 EST 2010

On 2010-02-22 08:35-0500 Brad King wrote:

> Are you using a modified CMakeDetermineFortranCompiler.cmake
> in your own CMAKE_MODULE_PATH?

Hi Brad:

I am probably the best person to answer that question.  Here is how
I currently implement CMAKE_MODULE_PATH in our svn trunk version of
PLplot.

if(CMAKE_MAJOR_VERSION EQUAL 2 AND CMAKE_MINOR_VERSION EQUAL 6)
   set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH
     ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake/modules
     ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake/modules/language_support/cmake
     ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake/modules/language_support/cmake-2.6
   )
else(CMAKE_MAJOR_VERSION EQUAL 2 AND CMAKE_MINOR_VERSION EQUAL 6)
   set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH
     ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake/modules
     ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake/modules/language_support/cmake
     ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake/modules/language_support/cmake-2.8
   )
endif(CMAKE_MAJOR_VERSION EQUAL 2 AND CMAKE_MINOR_VERSION EQUAL 6)

modules has the normal PLplot module stuff that has nothing to do with language
support.  language_support/cmake has our language-support files that
are independent of CMake version and
language_support/cmake-2.6 and language_support/cmake-2.8 contain
the relevant version-dependent language support files.

Here is the complete list of our language_support files:

cmake/modules/language_support/cmake-2.6/Platform/Cygwin-GNU-Fortran.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake-2.6/Platform/Windows-df.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake-2.6/Platform/Windows-GNU-Fortran.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake-2.6/Platform/Windows-f90.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake-2.6/CMakeFortranInformation.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/Platform/Windows-dmd.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/Platform/Darwin-dmd.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/Platform/Linux-dmd.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/Platform/Windows-gdc.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/Platform/Linux-gdc.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/CMakeDetermineAdaCompiler.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/CMakeDInformation.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/CMakeD_Copyright.txt
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/CMakeAdaCompiler.cmake.in
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/CMakeDetermineDCompiler.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/CMakeAdaInformation.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/CMakeTestAdaCompiler.cmake
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/CMakeDCompiler.cmake.in
cmake/modules/language_support/cmake/CMakeTestDCompiler.cmake

The files in ..../cmake support Ada and D.  If I cannot resolve the 2.8
issue I am currently facing with D static libraries in a manner that is
independent of CMake version I may have to move/modify the D support files.

The files in ..../cmake-2.6 are our CMake-2.6 Fortran support files.

cmake/modules/language_support/cmake-2.6/Platform/Windows-df.cmake is
different from the version of that file in CMake (all versions).  Once Arjen
has confirmed our version is better, it should be moved to the .../cmake
tree so it will be used by both our 2.6 and 2.8 users. Of course, it should
be donated to CMake as well to update their older version.

Currently ..../cmake-2.8 is empty on the assumption that CMake-2.8.1-RC3 has
complete support for all Fortran compiler platforms we are interested in.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).