[CMake] Missing Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\vsmacros\OtherProjects7

Wheeler, Frederick W (GE, Research) wheeler at ge.com
Mon Feb 22 10:31:52 EST 2010

I did an uninstall/reinstall and have some more info on this problem.

> From: David Cole
>
> Looking at the CMake source code, it does not appear that there is any
way to suppress those "error opening key" messages... If all you want to
do is suppress the messages, you could build your own cmake, editing the
source code to eliminate the messages. They are all coming from
Source/cmGlobalVisualStudioGenerator.cxx.

> What's the history of the machine? Could somebody have manually
deleted those registry keys?

I'm the only person who has used the machine.

> With the Pro Edition of VS, those keys should definitely be there.
Perhaps a full uninstall / re-install will correct the situation.

I just did a complete uninstall of visual studio and all of the other
packages it installs.  I then reinstalled Visual Studio 2005 (8.0)
Professional.  During the install I did get one error message about
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition x86 failing to install.  I
doubt that is related to this issue.  At this point, I ran Cmake on my
project and the errors went away!  So that was nice.

However, as I had done before, I then also installed VS service pack 1
(VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.exe).  The service pack installed without any
error messages or anything unusual at all.  After I installed the
service pack I ran Cmake on the project again and the missing
Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\vsmacros\OtherProjects7 errors
returned.

I did not actually look at the registry entries before or after
installing the service pack, but it seems that installing the service
pack either A) removed the registry entries in question or B) did
something else that causes Cmake to check the registry entries, but
failed to create the registry entries.

I would assume that most people who use VS 8.0 install service pack 1.
It seems to fix a lot of problems.

I'd welcome any suggestions on how to fix these errors if they are
indeed a sign of a real problem with my system.  Or, if anyone thinks
this is a Cmake issue, I'm happy to do any tests/checks that might help
the cause.  As before, Cmake seems to configure the project fine, even
with these error messages.

Fred Wheeler