[CMake] Support for languages without linking phase etc

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 05:08:57 EST 2010

On 20. Feb, 2010, at 19:30 , David Cole wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Ivan Chernetsky
> <ivan.chernetsky at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I've written almost all the .cmake files required to add Erlang
>> support, but when I was approaching completion, I realized--to be
>> honest, got confused by the fact that there is no linking phase. So
>> here is the question: what should CMAKE_Erlang_LINK_EXECUTABLE look
>> like? Or speaking more generally: what the overall strategy for adding
>> a new language that differs from the C/C++/etc in the build process?
>>
>> I would be glad of any help.
>>

> You can easily make the executable for linking a no-op : just run "cmake
> --version" or some other silly command line for a link phase if no linking
> is required...

How about languages where there is no separate compiling phase, such as e.g. C#? Is there a placeholder in CMAKE_<LANG>_LINK_EXECUTABLE and CMAKE_<LANG>_CREATE_SHARED_LIBRARY that gets expanded to the list of source files instead of the object files? How to tell CMake to skip the compile-phase without calling "cmake --version" a few thousand times (and creating a lot of bogus output on the screen)?

Michael