[CMake] CMake 2.8.1 RC 3 is ready to try

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Feb 18 03:43:21 EST 2010

On 2010-02-17 10:39-0500 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> CMake 2.8.1 RC 3 is ready to try:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/?C=M;O=D
>
> Please try your projects with it.   If you find any issues, let me know. I
> think we are getting very close to the actual release.  Pretty much
> regressions only at this point, so PLEASE test your software with this
> release.

The PLplot build system works fine for CMake-2.6.4 both for static and shared
libraries.  It also appears to work for shared libraries and CMake 2.8.1 RC 3.
However, there are some issues with RC3 for the static libraries case.

Our Fortran static library issue for CMake-2.8.x has been mentioned before
on list, and Arjen and Brad are still pursuing it and perhaps are even done
with the CMake part, but the corresponding PLplot build system adjustments
have not been made yet.  For example, I don't really know how we can
simultaneously support the different Fortran language infrastructures for
CMake-2.6.x and CMake-2.8.x.  Brad recommended using two separate
CMAKE_MODULE_PATH's for the two cases, but that would involve duplicating a
lot of PLplot CMake modules that are common to both cases.  Could
CMAKE_MODULE_PATH be treated as a colon-separate list of paths that are
searched one after another?  That would solve the common modules issue for
us.

I also just discovered that our special CMake D language support
infrastructure fails for the static library case for CMake 2.8.1 RC 3.  It
should take me quite a while to see what is wrong in that case, since
language support is so "magic" with its own set of hard-to-understand (at
least for me) rules.  Ultimately, the issue will probably be something
specific to 2.6.x in the way we have written our D language support rather
than something intrinsic to the CMake core. So there is no point in waiting
for us to resolve that D static library issue before making the 2.8.1
release.

Alan

Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).