[CMake] CMake 2.8.1 RC 3 is ready to try

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Feb 17 15:31:42 EST 2010

On 2010-02-17 10:39-0500 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> CMake 2.8.1 RC 3 is ready to try:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/?C=M;O=D

Bill, could you please include gpg signature files with each form of your
downloadable release files?  If the user imports your public key from your
website or a keyserver using "gpg --import" and downloads both FILENAME.asc
and FILENAME, the "gpg --verify FILENAME.asc" command allows him to verify
(a) that there were no download errors and (b) FILENAME was signed by
someone with access to a private key that corresponds to your public key.

I have asked for gpg signature files before for your releases, and you
showed enough interest to read the PLplot notes (look for anything
gpg-related in
http://plplot.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/plplot/trunk/README.Release_Manager_Cookbook?view=markup)
on how we set up signature files for our releases, but then we both let it
slide after that.

Anyhow, virtually every major piece of free and open source software
infrastructure (e.g., the GNU project, many Linux distros, etc.) has been
broken into from time to time, and one by one they have all gone to a model
like above for signing their releases to make it a lot more difficult to
distribute malware despite such breakins.  I think it is important for CMake
releases to be signed for the same reason.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).