[CMake] Resolution of dependencies for Subversion

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Sat Sep 26 19:01:46 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM, SF Markus Elfring <
elfring at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > You could look to FindImageMagick for inspiration. It started as a
> > way to find the ImageMagick binary utilities like "convert" and "
> > mogrify" but support was added to detect the ImageMagick libraries
> > via specifying additional COMPONENTS.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I am also interested in another variation of this use case.
>
> Which name should a configuration script get that determines some
> parameters for the build process and does not look for any client software?

Generally the find module is named after the software package.  Since
usually a software package is either a library or a set of executables but
not both, generally there is no ambiguity.  Other CMake find modules have
appended "Libs" to the module name.  FindPerlLibs, for example.

> How do you deal with the situation if further knowledge about available
> utilities is not needed for the generation of project specific binaries?

If you're asking if the module should find "svn.exe" if all you need is the
subversion libraries, the answer is it doesn't have to.  Once COMPONENTS
have been specified the module can require the user specify one to find
executables as well.  FindImageMagick is a good example of this.  It
maintains backwards compatibility if COMPONENTS is not specified but
otherwise requires each component that is to be searched for to be
explicitly named regardless of it it is a program or a library.

Alternatively, you can simply write FindSubversionLibs and that will be
that.

--
Philip Lowman