[CMake] Resolution of dependencies for Subversion

Tyler Roscoe tyler at cryptio.net
Tue Sep 22 11:51:06 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 09:10:01AM +0200, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
> I do not want to develop an add-on. But I would like to create a
> little program for my own purposes that is based on the application
> programming interface like it is described in the document "Using the
> APIs - Chapter 8. Developer Information".
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch08s02.html

That version of the svnbook is very old. Google likes to turn it up at
the top of its hits, but I hope you're looking at a modern version for
writing your program.

> Would you like to recommend any ways to resolve the additional
> software dependencies for the Apache Portable Runtime library?
> FIND_PACKAGE(APR REQUIRED)
> FIND_PACKAGE(APRUtil 1.3 REQUIRED)
>
> How are the chances that another improved script will be added to the available modules?
> http://fisheye.freeswitch.org/browse/FreeSWITCH/cmake_modules/FindAPRUtil.cmake

If you want to use that FindAPRUtil module, you can drop it in your
CMake modules directory (alongside the dozens of other Find*.cmake files
in your CMake installation). You can also put it somewhere else and set
CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH so that CMake can find it.

If you are the author of that FindAPRUtil, you can try to get it
officially included into CMake. Look here:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/CMake:Module_Maintainers

> > If so, I don't think that's what FindSubversion is for. It looks like
> > FindSubversion is for running the svn executable during builds in a
> > CMake-friendly way.
>
> Its header contains the comment "Extract information from a subversion
> working copy". Should the functionality be extended so that variables
> will also be defined with the suffix "_INCLUDES" and "_LIBS" for
> compiling and linking like they are provided by other scripts?

Again, to me it looks like FindSubversion is for *using* Subversion, not
for building it. As such, setting up include paths and link libraries is
not appropriate in that module.

I'm not aware of a CMake Find module that helps with building
Subversion, but I've never looked for one.

hth,
tyler