[CMake] Visual Studio plugin help

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 18:51:03 EDT 2009

Well, OK. I've narrowed it down a bit more.

I don't think this is related to the plugin.

In one of my projects, if I simply compile an already compiled project
then exit, I get a crash.  I ported some of the CMake code from that
project into a new one and now they are both crashing.  I didn't
notice that this was correlated, since I've only been working on these
two projects for the past little while.

I'm not sure what I could be doing with my CMake script to cause VS to
crash when exiting.

I tried VS 2008, and it doesn't crash doing the same things I was doing in 2005.

I've also verified that it crashes in XP32 with VS 2005 Team building
a 32 bit build.

I'm going to try and install 2005 Pro and see if it still crashes, but
I don't think that will solve anything.

James

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM, James Bigler<jamesbigler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 2:43 PM, David Cole<david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
>> In VS 2005, the file is in your "My Documents" folder of Windows, under
>> "Visual Studio 2005/Projects/VSMacros80/CMakeMacros".
>> If you remove it, CMake should put it back again next time it configures...
>
> This is fine.  I just wanted to make sure I had a "fresh" one.
>
>> Does the exception happen while you are closing an instance of Visual
>> Studio? (Or might there be a previously crashed one still evident in the
>> Task Manager or Process Explorer...?)
>
> I have seen it when closing an instance of Visual Studio (outside of
> the CMake plugin), but I can't seem to get it to crash unless I've
> used the plugin sometime in the past.
>
> I usually have to kill it through the task manager, because it gets
> stuck in some strange state after it shows me the error dialog.
>
>> Have you rebooted lately?
>
> At least once today, and several times of the past while.  It doesn't
> seem to help.
>
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:30 PM, James Bigler <jamesbigler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Where is the VS plugin stored on disk?
>>>
>>> Can I remove it, and have CMake add it again?
>>>
>>> Somehow I managed to get my Visual Studio into a state where often
>>> when the CMake plugin unloads the solution, VS crashes with the
>>> following error:
>>>
>>> The server threw an exception. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010105
>>> (RPC_E_SERVERFAULT))
>>>
>>> I've tried to google around to see if this was just circumstantial
>>> with unloading the project and has nothing to do with the plugin, but
>>> I couldn't find anything applicable.
>>>
>>> I installed the following:
>>>
>>> VS 2005 8 Pro
>>> VS 2008 9 Pro
>>> CMake 2.6.4
>>> VS 2005 8 Upgraded to Team
>>> VS 2008 9 Upgraded to Team
>>>
>>> I haven't done a lot of testing with VS 2008 lately.  Most of the work
>>> I've been doing lately has been with 2005, and it crashes frequently
>>> but not always.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James