[CMake] Object files as targets (or add_object)

Henrique Almeida hdante at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:51:29 EDT 2009

 Hello,

 I'm working on a cross platform libc implementation that uses CMake
for the building process. I've noticed that CMake doesn't currently
support adding non linked or partially linked object files as a
target. For example, I need to install a "runtime.o" object file which
will provide runtime support for the library users. I've searched the
CMake mailing list and I've found a question about partially linked
object files (the poster had issues with circular references), in
which the poster suggests, as a trick, creating a static library, then
manually unpacking the archive and running the linker with the
"relocatable" flag to build the partially linked object (which
required knowledge of the archiver and linker argument parameters).
I've not seen any further comment about this, however.

 Are there any plans to add built-in, cross-platform support for
defining object files as targets ? This is something some projects
would benefit with.

--
 Henrique Dante de Almeida
 hdante at gmail.com