[CMake] How to relink executables when depdent library got changed ?

Chih-pin Wu stokeman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 07:41:47 EDT 2009

Hi all:

  I'm working on an embedded platform and building integrated software as
multimedia CE devices. And I am just started trying to introduce CMake to
replace my legacy environment constructed by many hand-written gnu styled
makefiles.

  I have many components which is cross referred to each other very
complicatedly, and it really helps a lot when I started to migrate to CMake
with the benefit of automatic dependency checking.

  However, my order of building is
i) build lots of libraries, called components
ii) then build final executable, called application, linking with libraries

  I really felt comfort when I modified some header files in the component
directory, and makefiles generated by CMake automatically found it, rebuild
all dependent source files as well as the libraries.
However I could not make my final executable link those libraries
automatically when libraries got changed.

  I used TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES to enumerate linking libraries, also
ADD_DEPENDENCIES with these libraries.
But I still can't make it relink to a executable when those libraries got
changed, no matter it's rebuilt by makefile or replaced by some newer
revision.

  I'm just curious that did I missed anything ofr the purpose. Any comment
would be helpful.

  Thanks in advance ..

--
Wu Chih-pin