[CMake] Using relative paths with INSTALL

Timothy M. Shead tshead at sandia.gov
Mon Jun 8 14:48:05 EDT 2009

David Cole wrote:
> The drag-n-drop generator puts a copy of the "make install" tree at the
> root of the disk image produced...
>
> So if your "make install" tree has bundles in it, they're in there.
> Otherwise, not.

So if I have a shared file that needs to end-up in bundle foo, I'd have
to  use something along the lines of "foo.app/Content/Resources" as the
DESTINATION.  Makes sense.

> I think the answer to your question : "will '..' always work in INSTALL
> rules?" is -- it depends. We will not knowingly break it
> intentionally... However, unless there is a test for it in the cmake
> test suite, it may get broken unintentionally.
>
> Could you devise/contribute a new test (or an extension to an existing
> test) that would verify that the INSTALL behavior we have now remains
> that way?

I will definitely write / extend a test for this case.

> On the other hand, I can think of some cases where you will have
> file/dir create/write access under the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX directly,
> but not in some of its subdirectories. In that case, it would not work
> even now...

Understood.  Thanks for clarifying these issues.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Timothy M. Shead