[CMake] Feature Request: Additional directory for customized/private

Dominique Belhachemi domibel at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Apr 3 10:59:25 EDT 2009

Dear CMake Developers,

This is a feature request: Additional directory for customized/private
CMake modules.

It is very convenient that CMake comes with a lot of preconfigured modules
per default. There are a lot of usable modules in CMake's standard module
directory like:

:/usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules$ ls Find*
FindAVIFile.cmake                    FindosgGA.cmake
FindBLAS.cmake                       FindosgIntrospection.cmake
FindBoost.cmake                      FindosgManipulator.cmake
FindBZip2.cmake                      FindosgParticle.cmake
FindCABLE.cmake                      FindosgProducer.cmake
FindCups.cmake                       FindosgShadow.cmake

But sometimes it is necessary to add or override these Modules.

Adding a customized module to CMake's standard module directory is
possible, but I see a problem if CMake delivers an own version of this
modulein an updated package.
Overriding a customized module in CMake's standard module directory is
more tricky. If I want to switch between my customized module and CMake's
module I have to backup files to do that. This is a source of a lot of
errors.

Is it possible that you add an additional directory for customized modules
where CMake is looking for modules? Modules in this directory should be
treated with a higher priority than Modules in CMake's standard module
directory.

Best
Dominique