[CMake] problem deploying 64 bit from VS 2005

clinton at elemtech.com clinton at elemtech.com
Fri Mar 14 16:10:58 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've got this problem deploying 64 bit binaries from Visual Studio 2005....

I've got this app ====

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
  printf("hello world\n");
}
==========

And this CMakeLists.txt file  ==============

ADD_EXECUTABLE(testdeploy main.cpp)
INCLUDE(InstallRequiredSystemLibraries)
INSTALL(TARGETS testdeploy DESTINATION bin)
SET(CPACK_PACKAGE_EXECUTABLES "testdeploy" "TestDeploy")
INCLUDE(CPack)
=============

I built it with Visual Studio 2005 (64 bit release binary on 64 bit vista, if
that matters) and built the PACKAGE project.
I took my .exe installer (nsis) and ran it on another clean vista install, and
it gives me the error

	C:\Program Files\Project 0.1.1\bin\testdeploy.exe
	The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is
	incorrect.  Please see the application event log for more detail.

The event log contains =======
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Project
0.1.1\bin\testdeploy.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program
Files\Project 0.1.1\bin\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST" on line 4. Component
identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component
requested. Reference is
Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762".
Definition is
Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762".
Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

That's not the same error I get when trying to deploy my real application, but
in this case, the error appears to be a 32 vs 64 bit issue.

When deploying my real application, I tried using sxstrace as the event log
suggested, but it gives me a bunch of stuff that I can't make sense of.  So I
thought I'd try starting from the simplest app, and even that failed.

And I'm using CVS CMake as of yesterday.

Any ideas?

Clint