[CMake] Somehow making life easier with wxWidgets ...

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Tue Mar 11 09:41:25 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Jorgen Bodde wrote:
>
>  > Who knows the wx guys will evantually switch to Cmake after all. They
>  > arlready made a huge switch to Doxygen after sticking to LaTEX
>  > documentation for ages. If you look at an example "bakefile"  for any
>  > potential project here:
>  > http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/Bakefile
>  >
>  > Then I will take Cmake over Bakefile any day (not to say anything bad
>  > about Bakefile ofcourse ;-)
>  >

>  So, some history here might help...
>
>  I actively tried to get wxWidgets to switch to CMake several years ago.
>  The big problem was that they felt it was unacceptable for users to have
>  to install CMake to build wxWidgets.

With the popularity CMake is gaining, maybe this general skepticism
will fade away.

>  So, the result was some wxWidgets
>  folks created the Bakefile system.  I am thinking they will not change.
>   However, if we helped them to create a wxWidgets.cmake that was
>  created from the Bakefile system, I don't see why they would not accept it.

You mean generated at configuration/build time from the bakefile
system? That seems like a good idea. They would have to generate
different files probably, since different configurations co-exist.

wxWidgets-unicode-release.cmake
wxWidgets-unicode-static.cmake

I could help in creating the structure for the wxWidgets.cmake and how
that would be used from the FindwxWidgets.cmake, etc. However, I don't
have the time to learn how the bakefile system works and where the
generation would be triggered... maybe Jorgen can help here :)

--Miguel