[CMake] Somehow making life easier with wxWidgets ...

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Mar 11 09:18:59 EDT 2008

Jorgen Bodde wrote:

> Who knows the wx guys will evantually switch to Cmake after all. They
> arlready made a huge switch to Doxygen after sticking to LaTEX
> documentation for ages. If you look at an example "bakefile"  for any
> potential project here:
> http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/Bakefile
>
> Then I will take Cmake over Bakefile any day (not to say anything bad
> about Bakefile ofcourse ;-)

So, some history here might help...

I actively tried to get wxWidgets to switch to CMake several years ago.
The big problem was that they felt it was unacceptable for users to have
to install CMake to build wxWidgets.  So, the result was some wxWidgets
folks created the Bakefile system.  I am thinking they will not change.
  However, if we helped them to create a wxWidgets.cmake that was
created from the Bakefile system, I don't see why they would not accept it.

-Bill