[CMake] Brandon Van Every

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Mar 4 19:21:04 EST 2008

On 2008-03-04 19:36-0300 Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:

> Bill Hoffman escreveu:
>> This is a difficult decision for me.   I have never been forced into a
>> situation like this.  However, Brandon's posts to this list have been
>> disruptive to the community and myself.  I have therefore come to the
>> conclusion that Brandon needs to be kicked off the list.
>
> Well... from a Marketing Standpoint (tm), his reputation will be screwed if
> someone googles for 'brandon van every cmake'. Although I must confess that I
> find his rather verbose and insistent style too tiring and boring for my
> taste, he sometimes raised some valid questions.
> IMHO, banning is for somebody that wants to create havoc explicitly,
> spamming, etc. His problem seems to be a lack of social skills (as Sebastian
> wrote). But he seemed in the last couple of messages that he would 'settle'
> down, therefore I vote for giving him another chance.

I also get tired and bored by Brandon's posts.  Furthermore, some of his
completely off-topic comments and general negativity about any ideas other
than his own, and his complete inability to give someone else the last word
have offended me and others in the past. OTOH, Brandon has given practical
help to quite a few CMake users so it is a difficult decision for Bill to
make (as he said).

The personal rule of thumb I have evolved recently is to delete (sight
unseen) all of Brandon's posts on a given topic after the first one, and so
far that works reasonably well for me.  Anyhow, dispite all the irritations
my opinion is Brandon's posts have not really been disruptive enough to
warrant keeping him permanently off the list so I would also vote to give
him another chance (if I had a vote and assuming Brandon expressed
willingness to change his style if he regained the privilege to post to this
list again).

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).