[CMake] CMake and Lua

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Sat Mar 1 09:38:59 EST 2008

James Mansion wrote:
> Bill Hoffman wrote:
>> So what exactly about the CMake language gives you this feel?
>>
> That would be:
> 1) the syntax
> and
> 2) the modularity constructs
>
> I know its 'only' scripting to manage declarations into the engine.
>
> Its a shame you can't write emitters except in C++ but that certainly
> wouldn't
So, C++ is the language we picked/like.  You are welcome to contribute
one in C++.  Imagine if you could develop generators (I assume that is
what you mean by emitters) in any language!  You wouldn't even be able
to share them.
> be something I'd want to try with a language like this.
>> But if we did that would we have a binary that that had all the
>> "wrapped" languages?
>
> Why?  I don't care what you ship in the CMake core library.  I just want
> to be able to do any
> coding in my project in a manner that's comfortable.

Well, I suppose you don't have to use CMake.  Perhaps scons would be a
better fit for your tastes.

If you did use an arbitrary language bound to CMake core, people
building your project would have to build/get something different than
potentially any other CMake based project.
> Even if the result is mixed, a few lines in site config should enable
> the engine to find the
> interpreter DLLs and integrate them.

I guess you would provide the cross platform versions of the dll's that
people would need.   I know it is your project.  But on a larger scale
this type of thing would be bad for CMake.  Lets say you are developing
an open source project.   I am a user that finds your project.   Hey,
they use CMake, I know how to use CMake, I even already have it
installed for my platform it is working great.   Hey, this project does
not build it needs ruby CMake, I don't have Ruby CMake.  Even worst lets
say I want to combine to projects and one picked Ruby CMake, and one
picked Python CMake, and another Tcl CMake.  Wow, now I need CMake,
Ruby, Python,  and Tcl just to build this set of software.  This is just
the type of thing CMake was designed to avoid.

-Bill