[CMake] Support for vcbuild in cmake

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Jan 25 10:22:47 EST 2008

Reggie Burnett wrote:
> Bill,
>
> not sure I understand.  You are giving path names to visual studio but
> if you are using vcbuild then you don't have vstudio on the box.  From
> my understanding, you can install the windows sdk, take a visual
> studio 2005 solution and feed it to vcbuild and it will read the
> project files and build the project properly.  If there was a way to
> just tell CMake to generate the visual studio project files without
> first checking that vstudio exists.  Sort of a "trust me" flag.
>
> Or perhaps you can better explain your comment.  Are you saying that I
> would need to rebuild cmake or just feed these into my generation
> step?

No, a trust me flag is not needed.  We need to modify CMake to figure
out and use the command line of vcbuild to build a project.  CMake can
be programmed to know about vcbuild as well as devenv for building
projects.

If the vcbuild command line is the same as devenv all you would have to
do is set this cache variable:

CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM

However, my guess is that it is different.  If you want to try to modify
the  code, look in

std::string cmGlobalVisualStudio7Generator::GenerateBuildCommand

and in
Modules/CMakeVS*FindMake.cmake

All that said, you do know that you can run nmake from the command line
with the sdk only system.

-Bill