[CMake] Can CMake produce an Autotools-like build environment that doesn't require CMake?

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Fri Dec 26 23:07:20 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Naram Qashat <cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com>wrote:

> The subject pretty much sums up the question.  I'd like to know if it's
> possible, though.  I was trying to get CMake adopted to be used for a
> project I'm working on, but the response has been mixed. The biggest
> detractor has been that CMake is required at all times to build, while the
> old build system was using Autotools and didn't require the users to need
> Autotools installed beforehand in order to build.  It's a combination of
> that and the amount of space required to build CMake itself (most of our
> users are using shell hosts that won't provide them CMake) that has given
> more heavy negative feedback than positive, even though the other advantages
> CMake gives outweigh Autotools.  But this is the biggest disadvantage that
> is bringing it down.

No, it's not possible.

CMake is extremely easy to use from the prebuilt tarballs Kitware provides,
however.  The binaries are all static and I have never had a problem running
them on a Linux distribution before.  There is no need to mess with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and adding the "bin" folder to your PATH is even optional.
It is 41MB untarred but if space is a concern you can remove the cmake-gui,
documentation, man pages, "ctest", "cpack" and end up with a pretty small
package approximately 11MB in size uncompressed.

http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html

--
Philip Lowman