[CMake] Can CMake produce an Autotools-like build environment that doesn't require CMake?

Naram Qashat cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com
Fri Dec 26 22:25:47 EST 2008

The subject pretty much sums up the question.  I'd like to know if it's
possible, though.  I was trying to get CMake adopted to be used for a project
I'm working on, but the response has been mixed. The biggest detractor has been
that CMake is required at all times to build, while the old build system was
using Autotools and didn't require the users to need Autotools installed
beforehand in order to build.  It's a combination of that and the amount of
space required to build CMake itself (most of our users are using shell hosts
that won't provide them CMake) that has given more heavy negative feedback than
positive, even though the other advantages CMake gives outweigh Autotools.  But
this is the biggest disadvantage that is bringing it down.

Thanks,
Naram Qashat