[CMake] Symlink problem under linux for runtime search path generation

Nicolas Desprès nicolas.despres at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 09:53:11 EST 2008

Hi all,

I'm using cmake-2.6.3-RC-5 on a linux box and I'm having a problem
when cmake try to generate a safe runtime search path. Here the error
message:

  Cannot generate a safe runtime search path for target qt_ext because there
  is a cycle in the constraint graph:

    dir 0 is [/home/polrop/install/qt-x11-commercial-src-4.4.3/lib]
      dir 1 must precede it due to runtime library [libqscintilla2.so.5]
    dir 1 is [/home/polrop/install/qt/lib]
      dir 0 must precede it due to runtime library [libQtCore.so.4]

I have called cmake with a -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/polrop/install/qt
which is a symlink to /home/polrop/install/qt-x11-commercial-src-4.4.3

qscintilla2 has been built using qmake which uses hard coded file paths.

Note that if I call cmake with
-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/polrop/install/qt-x11-commercial-src-4.4.3
it works fine.

I can understand it is not a direct problem from cmake but rather from
my build environment.

But in this kind of case, cmake could figure out that these two
directories are actually the same ?

Thanks for sharing opinion.

Cheers,

--