[CMake] FindBoost.cmake

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:16:12 EST 2008

2008/12/12 Philip Lowman <philip at yhbt.com>:
>>I'm no Kitware employee but so far I think that at least
>>for FindBoost.cmake (or other maintained Find modules)
>>the bugs should be handled directly by its maintainer:
>>http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Module_Maintainers
>>
>>May be it's worth asking Andreas if it is currently
>>the way it works.
>>
>>Trying to ask the maintainer for its support would relieve
>>the pressure on Kitware which seems to get higher and higher
>>with the gorwing usage of CMake.
>>
>>I think it may not scale well if "only" handled by Kitware.
>
> Of course.  If the bugs aren't triaged and assigned to the FindBoost maintainer, however, he would get no notification that there are bugs.

Yes you are right, CMake dev team should at least assign module
maintainer  the concerned bugs
or at least add him to the monitoring list.

> Unless he's searching the bugtracker manually there is no way he'd know.

Yes that what I thought in the first place.
The maintainer may browse the new bugs every two weeks or so and
add itself to the "monitoring list" of the bug.

However you are damn right it's a painful process for the maintainer.
The initial "bug dispatch" should be fast&easy in order to make it simple
for the maintainer to be notified, without loosing time.

If CMake Dev dot not have enough time for this initial dispatch
may be some CMake user (volunteer) may help for the dispatch if:

  1) They are systematically notified when a new CMake bug is entered
  2) They are granted the right to add someone to the monitoring list
      of the bugs.

This won't overwrite the right for Kitware to assign/close/.... bugs
but it may help to notify Module Maintainer.

Another possibility is to add each Module Maintainer to the "new bug"
notification
list such that they may add themselves directly when they think the new bug
concerns their modules.

--
Erk