[CMake] [Fwd: Re: Why does dependency scanning in version 2.6 seem so slow?]

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Thu Dec 4 15:34:55 EST 2008

On Thursday 04 December 2008, Jose Luis Blanco wrote:
> If this helps anyone, I'm working on a large project using CMake and in two
> different computers, both with the same version of Ubuntu and cmake, it is
> *REALLY SLOW* in only one of them while scanning dependencies, but it's not
> in the other laptop.  (The "slow" dep. scanning is ~1 min. too)
>
> I'd be happy to help debugging this, because it's really annoying :-(

Running it in valgrind/callgrind to get some profiling information may help.
Do a "make VERBOSE=1" and write down the command which does the dependency
scanning (cmake -E cmake_depends or something)
Then run this exact command with valgrind:
$ valgrind --tool=callgrind cmake -E cmake_depends ...the remaining argsuments

Using kcachegrind you can analyze the resulting log file very nicely.
Do this on both the fast and the slow machine and see if there are significant
differences.

I think it won't show you if you hit I/O delay, e.g. caused by a network as
Bill suspects.

Alex