[CMake] [Fwd: Re: Why does dependency scanning in version 2.6 seem so slow?]

Jose Luis Blanco joseluisblancoc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 19:04:32 EST 2008

If this helps anyone, I'm working on a large project using CMake and in two
different computers, both with the same version of Ubuntu and cmake, it is
*REALLY SLOW* in only one of them while scanning dependencies, but it's not
in the other laptop.  (The "slow" dep. scanning is ~1 min. too)

I'd be happy to help debugging this, because it's really annoying :-(

Regards,
Jose Luis

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Senanu Pearson <senanu at myrealbox.com>wrote:

> > Hi folks,
>

>> Is there a way to speed up the dependency scan in version 2.6?
>>
>> I recently installed a new Linux OS (Mandriva 2009) which included an
>> upgrade to cmake 2.6 (I _think_ I had version 2.4 before). However, when I
>> run make (after running "cmake .") it takes a long time (>1min) to do the
>> dependency scan. (i.e. the time when the message "Scanning dependencies of
>> target foo" is printed) whereas the rest of the build takes about 10
>> seconds. This happens every time I run make but it does successfully build
>> (and the "cmake ." step is fast).
>>

> I did not experienced such slow down when going from 2.4 to 2.6
> would you be able to try a CMake 2.4 on the same system?
>
> You may
>
> 1) download a tarball
> http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.4/cmake-2.4.8-Linux-i386.tar.gz
> 2) untar it somewhere,
> 3) update you path
> 4) retry the build.
>
>  The odd thing is that it was almost instantaneous (with essentially the
>> same
>> code) under version 2.4 and is almost instantaneous on a (faster) mac
>> (again, with the same code).
>>

> CMake is not the only thing which have changed then:
>

>  - system
>  - compiler  --> this may be important.
>  - disk speed, cpu, ..;
>

> --
> Erk
>
> Erk,
>
> Yes, you are right - the 2.4 build doesn't seem to be any faster. All my
> hardware is the same but I'm using gcc 4.3.2 and KDE4. Still, it seems
> strange that it is so incredibly slow.
> Unless anyone can offer a better solution, I'm inclined to simply switch
> targets in the Makefile
> so that I can get a quick build without having to do quite as much typing
> every time (yeah, and
> break my habit, too).
>
> Thank you,
> Mark

Jose-Luis Blanco-Claraco      Phone: +34 952 132848
Dpto. Ingenieria de Sistemas y Automatica
E.T.S.I. Telecomunicacion       Fax: +34 952 133361
Universidad de Malaga
Campus Universitario de Teatinos
29071 Malaga, Spain

http://www.isa.uma.es/jlblanco