[CMake] [Fwd: Re: Why does dependency scanning in version 2.6 seem so slow?]

Senanu Pearson senanu at myrealbox.com
Wed Dec 3 18:46:55 EST 2008

 > Hi folks,

> Is there a way to speed up the dependency scan in version 2.6?
>
> I recently installed a new Linux OS (Mandriva 2009) which included an
> upgrade to cmake 2.6 (I _think_ I had version 2.4 before). However, when I
> run make (after running "cmake .") it takes a long time (>1min) to do the
> dependency scan. (i.e. the time when the message "Scanning dependencies of
> target foo" is printed) whereas the rest of the build takes about 10
> seconds. This happens every time I run make but it does successfully build
> (and the "cmake ." step is fast).

I did not experienced such slow down when going from 2.4 to 2.6
would you be able to try a CMake 2.4 on the same system?

You may

1) download a tarball
http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.4/cmake-2.4.8-Linux-i386.tar.gz
2) untar it somewhere,
3) update you path
4) retry the build.

> The odd thing is that it was almost instantaneous (with essentially the same
> code) under version 2.4 and is almost instantaneous on a (faster) mac
> (again, with the same code).

CMake is not the only thing which have changed then:

   - system
   - compiler  --> this may be important.
   - disk speed, cpu, ..;

--
Erk

Erk,

Yes, you are right - the 2.4 build doesn't seem to be any faster. All my hardware is the
same but I'm using gcc 4.3.2 and KDE4. Still, it seems strange that it is so incredibly slow.
Unless anyone can offer a better solution, I'm inclined to simply switch targets in the Makefile
so that I can get a quick build without having to do quite as much typing every time (yeah, and
break my habit, too).

Thank you,
Mark