[CMake] Controlling the locations of files produced by Visual Studio

David.Karr at L-3COM.COM David.Karr at L-3COM.COM
Mon Dec 1 11:06:04 EST 2008

>> The context of this question is that I'm porting an existing project
>> from Visual Studio 6.0 to Visual Studio 2008.  This project has used
>> CMake for several years, but before that it already had its own file
>> structure into which it put all the files that it built.
>>[...]
>>
>> It would be ever so much easier for me if CMake just provided a
couple
>> of extra options to say where certain output files got written.
>
>Another alternative might be to have CMake generate Visual Studio 6
>project files, using the variable that controls whether or not CMake
>rules get added to turn off the re-run CMake rules....  and then use
>Visual Studio 2008 to convert those project files...?

This would be a viable alternative if I wanted to check in the VCPROJ
files under source code control and abandon CMake for all future
versions of the software under this project.  Which I don't.

(I actually did this once just to see what I really wanted the VCPROJ
files to look like, so I can confirm that it does work, but it would
never be accepted as part of the nightly build process of the larger
system.)

Since there seems to be no other comment on the mailing list, I'll
try the issue tracker.

David Karr