[CMake] Interresting dependency problem

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 18:36:38 EDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
> On 2007-09-28 17:02-0400 Brandon Van Every wrote:
> >
> > Andreas didn't say it works in any usable sense.  He said it gives
> > some kind of output.
>
> But that output sounded like exactly what you expect from pkg-config
> (compile and link options with no error messages).  So it is pretty clear it
> is running without errors.

Alan, you don't even have a Windows box set up at the moment.  If you
want to toss me a guaranteed test harness that's Windows native, and
it works, then we can make that pronouncement.  Meanwhile you are
leaping to conclusions because you want it to work.

> He did complain the delivered options were in
> the wrong form for non-MSYS windows systems, but there is an obvious remedy
> for that which I have already discussed.

If it's obvious I missed it.  And I don't understand why this means it
"works" in any event.  Sounds to me like it could work, not that it
does work.  I spent a lot of time on Chicken Scheme internals with
escaped double quotes and path convention problems.  More time than I
spent on CMake per se.  Cleaning that kind of stuff up is hell.  No
way would I assume it all works.

> pkg-config has been good for our PLplot needs for all but the non-MSYS
> windows case, and it now looks like from the recent tests you and Andreas
> have performed we can easily extend it to that case as well.
>
> Thanks for making the test.  Kudos to both you and Andreas for doing that
> despite your reluctance to use pkg-config for your own particular needs.

Boy are you overconfident!  Get a Windows box up for testing.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every