[CMake] Interresting dependency problem

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Sep 28 18:18:26 EDT 2007

On 2007-09-28 17:02-0400 Brandon Van Every wrote:

> On 9/28/07, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
>>
>> It appears from what you said that the pkg-config executable actually runs
>> in the non-MSYS case which exactly confirms what is claimed by the
>> pkg-config website.
>
> You are making way too much of the claim on the website.  It claims
> that it runs "on Windows," without specifying whether that means under
> a Bourne shell or not.  At present, all I can tell you is that under a
> Windows Command prompt, when given 0 arguments it doesn't crash.  No
> idea if it'll actually do anything useful.
>
> Andreas didn't say it works in any usable sense.  He said it gives
> some kind of output.

But that output sounded like exactly what you expect from pkg-config
(compile and link options with no error messages).  So it is pretty clear it
is running without errors.  He did complain the delivered options were in
the wrong form for non-MSYS windows systems, but there is an obvious remedy
for that which I have already discussed.

pkg-config has been good for our PLplot needs for all but the non-MSYS
windows case, and it now looks like from the recent tests you and Andreas
have performed we can easily extend it to that case as well.

Thanks for making the test.  Kudos to both you and Andreas for doing that
despite your reluctance to use pkg-config for your own particular needs.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).