[CMake] SciTE text editor supports CMake

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 11:57:09 EDT 2007

I've been using the SciTE text editor
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html for some time now as an
alternative to the heavy weightedness of Visual Studio and Eclipse,
and as an alternative to the awkwardness and obfuscation of Emacs and
Vi.   That is, awkward to my Windows-centric sensibilities.

SciTE version 1.73 and later supports editing of CMake code - pretty
printing, sane indentations, that sort of thing.  You do have to turn
it on manually, it's not enabled by default.  This is documented on
the CMake wiki http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Editors_Support .
Previously I used SciTE without the support.  In fact I've used fairly
arbitrary text editors in the past; writing CMake script does not
inherently require any kind of support.  But eventually I needed to
indent big blocks of CMake script correctly, so I went looking for
more editor features.

I haven't done any actual C/C++ or Scheme programming with SciTE,
although once upon a time that was my intent.  Seems I just keep
writing build systems indefinitely.  :-)  So I don't know how SciTE
fares as an IDE, or how well CMake hooks into it.  SciTE is designed
to allow pretty arbitrary command line tools to hook into it though.

Sure you have to configure the tools yourself, but I've found it much
less awkward to configure stuff than in the Emacs world.  The SciTE
documentation is "really flat."
http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEDoc.html  There's one big page
to look at, not a bunch of chapter and verse, so doing a "find" on it
is trivial.  Options are generally "turn this setting on or off."  I
don't have to know any weird Elisp programming principles or anything
like that.  SciTE itself has menus for where all the options files are
located, so I don't have to hunt and peck about where anything needs
changing either.  Generally my learning curve with SciTE has been
rewarded with immediate results.

I'm curious if others are using SciTE?  Particularly if you do C/C++
programming and know to what extent CMake can or can't be integrated.
If someone knows what needs to be done, I'd like to get that
information onto the CMake wiki.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every