[CMake] CMake2.5 - wrong default install location for mingw

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 17:58:30 EDT 2007

On 10/19/07, Gonzalo Garramuño <ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar> wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
> >
> > Agreed, having gone through this debate awhile ago.  I would further
> > note that MinGW doesn't require MSYS, and that one would of course
> > expect %ProgramFiles% as the default in that case.  Adding MSYS
> > doesn't change the compiler being used, and the MSYS philosophy is as
> > Bill said.  So using %ProgramFiles% would make sense there too.
> >

> Well, if you are not using MSYS with MinGW you expect MinGW to basically
> NOT be able do any installs.  That would be the responsibility of
> something like DevC++ or the makefile you create.

Yeah, but there are Windows Command Prompt versions of make, typically
named mingw32-make.  You'd expect those to install to %ProgramFiles%,
they don't have any /usr/local file system associated with them.

> Either way, it would also be good if CMake did make a distinction about
> itself.  I really do not like the idea of MinGW by default overwriting
> my (then stable) MSVC version.

I agree.  Make a feature request.

> I just lost half a day trying to restore to a stable build.

I recommend Acronis TrueImage.  http://www.acronis.com

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every