[CMake] Trouble with CMake + Eclipse + SVN/CVS

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Oct 17 15:59:43 EDT 2007

Quoting a.neundorf-work at gmx.net:

> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 20:46, Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva wrote:
>> On 10/17/07, Eric Noulard wrote:
>> > 2007/10/17, Pau Garcia i Quiles:

>> > I welcome your patch and will be pleased to give it a try.
>>
>> Obviously, the help in developing and testing is appreciated, but for
>> the particular problem in question the patch is required for the
>> Eclipse plugin. There are a few things that need to be worked on in
>> the generator that can be of great help, but I'm not sure that
>> .project/.cproject in the source directory is the right solution. More
>> below...
>>
>> > 2007/10/17, Mike Jackson:
>> >
>> > I agree with that too.
>> > I'm pretty sure it's a very good point for CMake to smoothly
>> > support a great CDT4 generator.
>> >
>> > My comment was about the fact that the buggy behavior
>> > of the CDT4 Generator for CVS enabled project should
>> > not be seen as CDT4 generator's fault.
>>
>> Exactly, the bug is in the Eclipse plugin... CMake is just too
>> powerful for it ;)
>>
>> > I am ok with the fact that CDT4 generator should
>> > put it's (.project/.cproject) ouput inside source tree.
>>
>> I'm certainly not, but I'm only the author of the CDT4 generator not a
>> CMake developer ;)
>
> I can assure you that the cmake developers agree with you, cmake must not
> create files in the source tree when building out-of-source.

I also agree but as the threads pointed by Eric show, Eclipse
developers are not open to modify the .project/.cproject behavior and
needs. They oversimplified their project management and now
out-of-tree builds (myapp-build), or in-tree builds in a different
directory (myapp/build) do not play well with the team integration
features (CVS, SVN, maybe even other features unrelated to version
control)

> Wasn't there a way to get the cvs/svn stuff working with the eclipse
> generator ?

Not according to my research. Check the three scenarios I described in
my original e-mail.

> E.g. by setting up a project in eclipse for the cvs/svn sources and then
> additionally loading the cmake generated out-of-source eclipse project ?

I think that's quite a mess, don't you?

The solution I found is not the cmake-ish way of doing things, but it
achieves pretty clear separation between source stuff and
cmake-generated stuff and works like a charm.

> I think a good thing would be to document in the cmake wiki how to
> set this up with the cmake generator.
>
> Alex

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org