[CMake] Trouble with CMake + Eclipse + SVN/CVS

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:48:35 EDT 2007

2007/10/17, a.neundorf-work at gmx.net <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 20:46, Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva wrote:
> > On 10/17/07, Eric Noulard wrote:
> > > 2007/10/17, Pau Garcia i Quiles:
> > > I welcome your patch and will be pleased to give it a try.
> >
> > Obviously, the help in developing and testing is appreciated, but for
> > the particular problem in question the patch is required for the
> > Eclipse plugin.

This is true BUT have a look at the discussion on the cdt-dev mailing
list and you'll see that it may not be as easy as it seems....

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-cvs-dev/msg00461.html

"Eclipse was designed with the assumption that the project directory
is part of the source tree"

At least I personnally was discourage by what I discover regarding
this "Eclipse Issue".

My point of view was like yours:
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-cvs-dev/msg00462.html
"I may be wrong but I think eclipse-team simplified a little too much the
relationship between a project and the version control system."

> > > I am ok with the fact that CDT4 generator should
> > > put it's (.project/.cproject) ouput inside source tree.
> >
> > I'm certainly not, but I'm only the author of the CDT4 generator not a
> > CMake developer ;)
>
> I can assure you that the cmake developers agree with you, cmake must not
> create files in the source tree when building out-of-source.
>
> Wasn't there a way to get the cvs/svn stuff working with the eclipse
> generator ?

I didn't find one that was acceptable for the time I was willing to
spedn on an eventual eclipse patch.
Moreover I evaluate the chance for an Eclipse design choice change
to be very low since I'm not anything near a recognized
Eclipse developer nor contributor :=)

Of course this MY OWN point of view.

> E.g. by setting up a project in eclipse for the cvs/svn sources and then
> additionally loading the cmake generated out-of-source eclipse project ?

Yes this work, but it is not as nice as a single project
entirely generated by CMake CDT4 generatro
You end-up with 2 Eclipse projects
one for CVS/SVN handling which is 'handcrafted'
from a "Project from CVS" eclipse menu,
then the other one for building, executing etc...
which is the project generated by CDT4 CMake generator.

> I think a good thing would be to document in the cmake wiki how to set this up
> with the cmake generator.

I think this was already discussed on the list but this
(but I did not dig for it)
but I cannot find it on a Wiki page
neither on:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Eclipse
nor on:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Eclipse_CDT4_Generator_Development

I'll try to put on the Eclipse_CDT4_Generator_Development
unless anyone is faster than me,
since I shouldn't be able to do it  before the Week-End.

--
Erk