[CMake] disabling the cache

KSpam keesling_spam at cox.net
Thu Nov 1 11:52:46 EDT 2007

Jesper,

On Thursday 01 November 2007 02:51:59 Jesper Eskilson wrote:
> As I said in a previous post, the project files are being reloaded, but
> not until *after* the build is complete. (Unless Visual Studio silently
> reloads projects during a building, but I seriously doubt that.)

If you run the ZERO_CHECK target, CMake will generate the new project files
without building everything.  Following ZERO_CHECK, Visual Studio would have
to reload the projects, and then you could build like normal.  This makes
building in Visual Studio essentially a two-step process.

I agree that it would be nice if CMake could trigger the build to stop if
ZERO_CHECK detects modified projects.  Of course, this is not a trivial task
in Visual Studio.  Not all projects generated by CMake have to be loaded in
Visual Studio.  If a project changes that is not currently loaded in Visual
Studio, there is no need to reload prior to building.

If you build outside of Visual Studio, there is no need to reload any
projects.  You can run vcbuild with the solution file, and everything runs
smoothly (although you are limited to building with a single processor
AFAICT).

Another trick you can do is arrange solution files in a hierarchy.  If you
only need to build a sub solution, you can load that one up.  Fewer projects
will need to be loaded into Visual Studio for a sub solution, which means
there are fewer projects that will potentially change when CMake regenerates
the projects.

Justin