[CMake] cmake support Eclipse CDT

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 03:30:53 EDT 2007

2007/7/31, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com>:
> On 7/30/07, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Of course CDT still uses the java-written eclipse
> > platform sdk, but it doesn't have anything else to do with Java.
>
> So you're writing a plugin in Java to integrate CMake with Eclipse.
> Well, don't you think you should use CMake to build the Java plugin?

No certainly not. You are building an ECLIPSE plugin.
You should use Eclipse for it.
CMake "may" generate the project file for that but I think
this should not be a primary target.

> If you use some non-CMake tool to build the CMake support, you risk
> CDT developers saying "what is this lame CMake build system that can't
> even handle Java?  We'd rather support Ant."

The CMake vs Ant comparison is misleading.
As far as I know Ant is not able to generate Visual Studio project files
nor KDevelop project file or even Eclipse Project file either!!
I think Ant will never go along this path.

Ant is a "better" make geared toward java build  and does
not compare to CMake.

When you build an Eclipse Plugin you SHOULD use Eclipse
because it was built just for that (being extensible with plugin).
Trying to get CMake into the middle seems awkward to me.

Would you use CMake to build a GUI you build
with Visual Studio or Glade?

I'm an advocate of the "right tool" for "the appropriate task"
don't try to get CMake do everything one may need.

--
Erk