[CMake] autoconf and cmake

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 00:42:28 EST 2007

Wojciech Jarosz wrote:
> Right. But other than the transitioning reason, is there any benefit
> to using autoconf in conjunction with CMake, as opposed to using CMake
> alone?

None.  Autoconf is a complete royal PITA.  Avoid it like the plague.  I
didn't want to become an Autoconf expert... it was politically necessary
to get everyone migrated to CMake.  The only area where Autoconf is
better than CMake, is its documentation is much more thorough.  Of
course, there's so much more horror to document, everything being split
between Automake, Autoconf, GNU Make, Libtool, and m4.  You can get away
with less documentation when your architecture is fundamentally cleaner
and more integrated.

> Also, would the general scenario be to use autoconf to pass
> settings to CMake, or the other way around?

We don't pass settings from one to the other.  They are independent
build systems.  They do share common .h and .in files, and each has
their own way of generating those files.  It's important that both
builds generate the same results when you're doing a migration.  A lot
of the work was rationalizing the Unix and Windows builds so that they
all used the same mechanisms and header files.

When we make a Chicken distribution, CMake is responsible for that.  It
does all the inventorying and is the canonical method for building a
distro.  We have an Autoconf method for doing it also, but I'm not
maintaining it, so I don't know if it works.  I don't want it to work, I
want it to die.  Anyways, when using CMake to build a distro, we do fire
up Autoconf via autogen.sh so that the distro will have all the
./configure files it needs and so forth.  This is a completely
independent subtask, we don't pass any options.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every