[CMake] How to switch off dependencies in special cases?

Claus Klein claus.klein at arcormail.de
Tue Jan 16 16:29:54 EST 2007

On Monday 15 January 2007 11:28, Jorrit Schaap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using cmake on linux with gcc.
> The dependencies feature of cmake is realy great, but sometimes I would like
> to switch it of. A complete build of all our libs takes a couple of ours.
>
> Whenever I add for example a comment to a top level header file (which is
> include direct or indirect by many cpp files) this triggers a very long
> build, even though no actual code changed in the header, and hence no long
> build is needed. I know you can reduce dependencies by using a lot of forward
> declarations etc, but that's not the point.

Dit you ever try to use ccache?

ccache is a compiler cache. It acts as a caching pre-processor to C/C++ compilers,
using the -E compiler switch and a hash to detect when a compilation can be satisfied from cache.
This often results in a 5 to 10 times speedup in common compilations.

see too http://ccache.samba.org/

This reduce the compile time if you din't change the code, but you can be sure your objects are up-to-date.

Claus