[CMake] mingw32 linker line exceeds win32 limitations

Arjen Markus arjen.markus at wldelft.nl
Thu Dec 20 04:51:40 EST 2007

Felix Obenhuber wrote:

>Dear CMake developer and users,
>
>I've encountered some probs with a an issue whitch already raised last
>year in the a post [1].
>
>Mingw32-make (5.1.3) minds about a too long linker line. The project
>makes use of CMake for Makefile Generation, that's why I tend to ask
>here whether someone found a solution for the known problem. Searching
>the web didn't return any usefull results (beside the crappy behaviour
>of the win32 command.exe with line of more than 8xxx+ chars)
>
>The CMake version used, is the latest 2.4.7 precompiled win32 release.
>
>I'd like to prevent workarrounds like changing file or directory names
>or consolidating source file content...
>
>Any Ideas?
>
>Thanks for your response!

The MSVC compiler/linker solves this by using a sort-of "here" document:

link32 @tmp_file_with_the_commands

Check the CMake module for the MSVC compiler(s) to see how it is done in
the context
of CMake and apply that to the module used in the MingW32 case. (Well,
this is
a rough sketch only ;))

Regards,

Arjen