[CMake] Building a Release Version in MSVC6

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed May 31 17:57:06 EDT 2006

Ben Larson wrote:
> Is the correct way to tell MSVC6 to build a release version of my
> project to use the command SET (CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE Release) in the
> CMakeLists.txt file?

No.  CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE is used to select the configuration for
single-configuration generators such as Makefiles.  The VS6 generator is
a multi-configuration generator, so CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE is ignored and both
Debug and Release configurations are generated.  When you load the
project in the IDE go to the "Build" menu and select "Set Active
Configuration".  In the resulting dialog set the configuration to

   ALL_BUILD - Win32 Release

and then build the project.

-Brad