[CMake] Xcode generator problems

Axel Roebel Axel.Roebel at ircam.fr
Mon May 1 23:24:19 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 03:43, William A. Hoffman wrote:
> At 08:09 PM 5/1/2006, Axel Roebel wrote:
> >Hello William,
> >
> >god news that there is a new version. I tried it instantly.
> >My first impression was not so positive
> >I found that it takes ages for the dependency checking.
> >I am working with template libraries where most of the code
> >is in include files. May be it is due to that, but with cmake
> >2.2.3 dependency checking was nevertheless 10 times faster.
> >With 2.4.1 dependency checking  takes longer than
> >compiling the project.
>
> I don't think any changes were made in that area.
> In fact, if anything it should be faster.   Did you build cmake
> with the same compiler/flags for 2.2.3 and 2.4.1?
> Also, I assume this is the not Xcode generator because
> that one does not do dependency checks in CMake.

Yes, I started to try unix makefiles, because I use them
most of the time. The other problem I had with 2.2.3 was that
on macosx the shared libraries that I linked with
were searched in the build directories not in the install directories.
That seems to be fixed in 2.4.1.

However, dependency checking is much longer. I did a direct comparison:

with cmake 2.2.3 compiled with the default type , I suppose this none
time /u/formes/share/bin/cmake -E cmake_depends  "Unix
Makefiles" /Users/roebel/src/svp/build241 /Users/roebel/src/svp/build241/compile/KernelBuild /Users/roebel/src/svp/build241/compile/KernelBuild/CMakeFiles/svp_kernel.dir/DependInfo.cmakereal

real    0m15.032s
user    0m10.154s
sys     0m4.593s

with 2.4.1 compiled with type release ( which did not improve compared to
none)
time /Users/roebel/src/cmake-2.4.1/bin/cmake -E cmake_depends  "Unix
Makefiles" /Users/roebel/src/svp/build241 /Users/roebel/src/svp/build241/compile/KernelBuild /Users/roebel/src/svp/build241/compile/KernelBuild/CMakeFiles/svp_kernel.dir/DependInfo.cmake

real    2m5.792s
user    0m7.613s
sys     1m56.915s

This is nearly 10 times longer
Interestingly the user processing time is faster, however,
system time has excessively increased. Note, that this has been measured on
the same system which was doing nothing else but the dependency check!

By the way, another problem with 2.4.1 is that the OUTPUT_NAME
of SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES is no longer working
(at least for unix makefiles)

--
Axel Roebel
IRCAM Analysis/Synthesis Team