[CMake] make in a subdir takes ages.

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Tue Jun 6 05:09:12 EDT 2006

Hi,

> Von: Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org>
>
> On Monday 5 June 2006 16:21, you wrote:
> > > btw; does that include a /fast on install?
> >
> > There is CMAKE_SKIP_INSTALL_ALL_DEPENDENCY, which if set to true makes
> > "install" not depend on "all". What do you think about setting this to
> > true for KDE globally ? This would skip the build step before
> > installing, which will make installing faster, but fail if something
> > has not been built.
>
> I thought about that, but I don't think that solves the issue.
> I would much rather see that the proposed 'install/fast' becomes the
> default as install now is not doing what I expect.
> For example; doing a make install in the subdir kword will trigger a
> recompile in the libs top level dir if something changed there. But it
> will not _install_ those changes there making my installed version not
> work anyway. And, no, installing in that dir is just making it worse.
> I really don't like the duplicity cmake introduced where there are
> subprojects with its makefiles but they are not subprojects at all since
> they depend on each other.
> Its usefull for some things, but most of the time its just a pain.
>
> So; no, please don't change this feature to be the default, its moving
> in the wrong direction.

I'm not sure we didn't misunderstand.

I suggested to turn the option CMAKE_SKIP_INSTALL_ALL_DEPENDENCY in KDEs cmake files on.
This will have the effect that if you "make install" in some subdir, it will try to install in this subdir and nothing else. I.e. it will not try to build in this subdir (and also not in subdirs the current subdir depends on).

Bye
Alex