[CMake] make in a subdir takes ages.

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Jun 6 04:49:57 EDT 2006

On Monday 5 June 2006 16:21, you wrote:
> > btw; does that include a /fast on install?
>
> There is CMAKE_SKIP_INSTALL_ALL_DEPENDENCY, which if set to true makes
> "install" not depend on "all". What do you think about setting this to
> true for KDE globally ? This would skip the build step before
> installing, which will make installing faster, but fail if something
> has not been built.

I thought about that, but I don't think that solves the issue.
I would much rather see that the proposed 'install/fast' becomes the
default as install now is not doing what I expect.
For example; doing a make install in the subdir kword will trigger a
recompile in the libs top level dir if something changed there. But it
will not _install_ those changes there making my installed version not
work anyway. And, no, installing in that dir is just making it worse.
I really don't like the duplicity cmake introduced where there are
subprojects with its makefiles but they are not subprojects at all since
they depend on each other.
Its usefull for some things, but most of the time its just a pain.

So; no, please don't change this feature to be the default, its moving in
the wrong direction.
--
Thomas Zander