[CMake] Debian, Redhat, and Cygwin packaging

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Tue Dec 12 02:38:02 EST 2006

Hi,

"Alan W. Irwin" <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:

> On 2006-12-11 20:42-0800 Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> I don't think there are any technical issues.  I have had one rpm
> packager working with our new CMake build system for PLplot, and he is
> not having too much trouble with it.

AFAIK Dirk Mueller does it for SUSE.

> > but it is a political problem.  For
> > instance, Chicken currently supports both CMake and Autoconf builds,
> > but only CMake is supposed to be used for making distros.  But
> > volunteers see the Makefile.am and go to town on it.  This means
> > CMake-built code isn't getting
> > deployed, which is very much counter to my testing and adoption goals.
>
> I agree it is a political problem, and those software projects who are
> making the transition from autotools to CMake will probably want to
> include the autotools option to ease the transition.

We (KDE) don't. It's simply not feasible keeping the old one working.
When shipping a release, we will deliver a shell script called "configure", which will basically say "Please run cmake .... etc.".
And I still have an unfinished patch sitting around for "translating" command line arguments, so that you can use "--prefix=" instead of "--DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=".

Of course it would be nice if cpack would support also rpm and deb packages.

Bye
Alex

Btw. the current releases of several Linux distros now ship with CMake 2.4.3 (SUSE 10.2, kubuntu feisty fawn and I guess others too) :-)