[CMake] Files not in build dir anymore?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 07:41:31 EST 2006

2006/12/9, Jorgen Bodde <jorgen.maillist at gmail.com>:
> The latest on Fedora Core. No there is not any cache present.

Output of cmake --version would be more precise :))

On my side I have:
cmake version 2.4-patch 3

> What I did was;
>
> cd src/someproject/build
> mkdir cmake
> cd cmake
> ccmake ../../CMakeLists.txt

Using your scheme I have your same problem
but keep reading the solution is simple...

> And in the past (and also in this project) the cache files were dumped
> in the dir I was in, since the agruments clearly say, either point to
> a CMake cache or CMakeLists.txt file. My project is freshly extracted,
> so no cache files were present yet.
>
> Are you using it in any different way?

In fact yes but the difference is small but significant to CMake...

I use:

cmake <path_to_source_topdir>
whereas you use:
ccmake <path_to_source_topdir>/CMakeLists.txt

2 differences cmake vs ccmake, but that's not the point.
If I use your scheme I get:

eric at jungle:~/TSP/tsp_all/tsp/build/cmake$ cmake ../../CMakeLists.txt
-- Check for working C compiler: gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: gcc -- works
[...]
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/eric/TSP/tsp_all/tsp

where with my scheme i.e. NOT SPECIFYING CMakeLists.txt
but only the top level source dir I get:

eric at jungle:~/TSP/tsp_all/tsp/build/cmake$ cmake ../..
-- Check for working C compiler: gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: gcc -- works
[...]
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/eric/TSP/tsp_all/tsp/build/cmake

In this later case the build files ARE generated where they should be !!
I think you may file a bug report unless some CMake developpers explain
us this implementation choice?

--
Erk